The Garden, planted by the Medford Rose Society during 1959-1960, only contains varieties of roses that originated before 1867.
"In 1978, Bruce Butte, a well-known local artist organized a committee to repair the old Methodist Episcopal Church building for use as a traditional Episcopal Church. This required a great amount of labor and substantial funding to accomplish." "This work was done over a several year period, as was the development of the Old Rose Garden on the north side of the church building. Don Neilson was the main developer of the garden. The statue of St. Francis of Assisi was dedicated in September 1988."
For the greater part of two decades, the 1980's and 1990's, the Garden was under the tender care of Don Neilson.
"Then in 1981, Rev. Paul Habliston, a retired Episcopal priest from Colorado became the Rector. Fr. Paul died in 1991 and his cremated remains were buried in the Rose Garden with permission from the City of Jacksonville. His wife's remains joined his at a later date. St. Andrew's is still in the process of restoring the church fabric and the grounds around the building. We are proud of the present appearance of our historic building and grounds."
-By The Reverend Bertram L. Davies, Rector
Come see what we've done to the Old Rose Garden!